Living with obesity in a world that is obsessed with fitness and beauty can be a curse. Being obese also has implications that are more than just cosmetic. Carrying excess weight can lead to several health problems such as cancer, heart disease, and diabetes. Despite the consequences, almost two-thirds of the American population is overweight or obese. The alarming rise in the obesity levels has also lead to the popularity of weight loss surgeries. Among the various bariatric procedures that have become popular in the last few years, Gastric Sleeve Surgery, also referred to as Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy, has emerged as one of the most popular, and also the safest.
In a cosmetic surgery, the cosmetic surgeon restricts the amount of food that a patient eats by removing a major portion of the stomach and shaping it into a sleeve or tube. The sleeve-shaped stomach is then closed with staples. Additional surgery may be required if the patient loses excessive weight after the first surgery. This additional surgery, Gastric Bypass or Duodenal Switch Surgery, is carried out after at least six months after the first surgery.
Is Orange County cosmetic surgery right for you?
The decision to undergo a weight loss surgery effect is a major one since it involves a dramatic change in one’s lifestyle habits after the surgery. Also, it is often tough to choose among the various bariatric procedures available for weight loss. Ideally, a consultation with a bariatric surgeon will help one decide as to which weight loss surgery may be the best for you. However, it is also helpful to consider certain pre-requisites for a bariatric procedure that may help you to determine if you are a suitable candidate for the surgery.
In general, these are the conditions that help determine whether one may be considered the right candidate for check gastric balloon cost:
- The patient should be aged between 18-65 years.
- The patient should have a BMI (Body Mass Index) of more than 40. This usually amounts to being overweight by 100 pounds in the case of men and 80 pounds in the case of women.
- If the BMI of the patient falls in the range of 35-39, he may be considered a candidate for Gastric sleeve if he is suffering from an obesity-related health problem such as sleep apnea, joint problem or diabetes.
4. Patient should have a history of five years or more of extreme overweight condition.
- Absence of Hernia Hiatus or other gastric problems.
- He/ She should also have a history of failed weight loss attempts that were based on diet or drugs.
- Patient should be mentally prepared to make dramatic, long-term lifestyle changes after the surgery.
- Patient should be healthy enough to take the physical stress of a bariatric procedure and accept surgical risk parameters.
Apart from these conditions, the candidate for the surgery may also have to make a few lifestyle changes before the surgery to ensure the success of the surgery. Here are a few things that a surgeon may require you to do before the surgery:
- Quit smoking, as it increases the risk of infections
- Observe a special diet a few weeks before the surgery
After the surgery, the patients may have to stay in the hospital for a few days. The patient has to stay on a liquid diet for about two weeks after the surgery, which is then replaced by semi-solid foods for another two weeks. After this period, the patient is allowed to eat solid food. The complications that may occur due to the gastric sleeve surgery include blood clots, leaks in the sleeve and infections. In certain cases, the patients may regain the weight lost after the surgery.
Patients may lose 50-80 pounds in the first one year after the procedure. The patients also have to bring about changes in their lifestyle after the surgery, which includes exercising regularly, changing eating habits.
One of the myths regarding the cosmetic surgery would be that the reduced stomach could regain its initial size and even reach a larger size. This is just an excuse of those who don’t stick to the healthy lifestyle required by this procedure and resort to wrong means, fooling themselves. The remaining stomach ensures a long-term food restriction. The patients must change their way of living, and thus, the benefits will most certainly appear like https://www.cosmeticare.com/s/breast-augmentation.
All diseases that affect the patients until successful cosmetic surgery are treated through the gastric sleeve, including diabetes, hypertension, and stroke risk. But, improving social, sex and even sporting life are equally important. Most of the women who had this procedure done are getting back to work, have a better couple life and the young patients can get pregnant.